Known in the past as Quinta da Teixeira or Teixeira Velha, Quinta das Tecedeiras owes its present name to the nuns who lived on the property and their cottage industry of weaving flax from the plants that grew here in the past. At that time, the estate was part of the vast São Pedro das Águias (St. Peter of the Eagles) convent and its remote location meant it came to serve also as a sanctuary for the politically persecuted and common criminals alike. The Church allowed them to live on the estate, guaranteeing protection in Exchange for physical labout on the farm.
Before the Douro river was dammed, Tecedeiras covered more than 150 hectares and was home to a “Pesqueira”, or fishing reserve that is first mentioned in documents in 1720. This small channel made it possible to dock the traditional Port-wine carrying Rabelo boats and to transport local produce downstream to Oporto. In Summer, that very same channel also served as a trap for fish, attracting local fishermen.
Exact references to the start of wine production at Tecedeiras have been lost in the past, but we find reference to the property well before the Phylloxera crisis in the second half of the 19th Century. In the late nineteenth century, the death of the region’s vines obliged Tecedeiras to survive on its production of oils and fruits.
Years later, the time was conversion of vineyards, but was careful to keep some old plots heritage that offers today to the fifth winemaking grapes of old for building premium wine vineyards.